Climate Change Manager
Emirates Nature-WWF is a UAE environmental non-governmental organization, established under the patronage of HH Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Ruler’s representative in the Western Region and Chairman of Environmental Agency – Abu Dhabi (EAD).
Emirates Nature works in association with WWF, one of the world’s largest and most respected independent conservation organisations. EN-WWF has been active in the UAE since 2001 and has successfully initiated and implemented several conservation and education projects and initiatives in the region.
The main responsibility of Manager will be to roll out the climate change and circular economy strategic priorities for ENWWF, actively seeking new partnerships, designing new project concepts, and developing project implementation plans. The Manager is expected to enhance climate change synergies across the conservation portfolio (including circular economy, nature conservation, sustainable economy, corporate engagement, food and entertainment industry). The role will integrate best practice and ensure strong alignment of ENWWF portfolio with global goals, as well as UAE’s policies and plans. She/He will also be expected to provide technical input on key priority projects and lead implementation of new projects. The role will support the Conservation Director in identifying new strategic opportunities for ENWWF in line with the organisational strategy and assist in managing and/or building relationships with key stakeholders (both government and private).
Business Development and Project Design
- Leveraging previous project successes and relationships, work closely with the CD to identify key priorities for ENWWF in line with global and local plans/policies
- Develop project concept notes and proposals, identify key project partnerships and identify resource needs
- Participate in stakeholder meetings to assess current landscape in climate change and circular economy that can in turn inform ENWWF project prioritization / design
- Liaise with other units and integrate interdisciplinary input in project design
Project Implementation and technical input
- Provide strategic oversight and/or lead CC& E projects to ensure timely and effectively delivery of project results/outputs
- Manage the development and monitoring of project workplans and budgets; work closely with the finance manager on finance reporting and budget tracking
- Develop and administer Terms of Reference and Contracts of external consultants, as well as ensure timely and high-quality submission of agreed deliverables and outputs.
- Manage project consultants and team members to ensure successful delivery of projects (as relevant)
- Identify project risks and together with impact manager oversee risk management and monitoring and evaluation framework
- Provide advice on nature conservation and blue carbon related projects; and offer technical input/oversee relevant studies on climate/nature policy synergies
Policy research and input
- Conduct climate and circular economy policy research, develop position papers and briefs for ENWWF
- Provide support and develop content in thought leadership pieces, blogs and ENWWF communications on climate and circular economy
- Support the CD and senior leadership in participating in national committees and discussions by providing research and key messaging
- Support the organization in identifying new and managing strategic partnerships and relationships with stakeholders
- Represent ENWWF in technical meetings and government led workshops, to the extent possible
- Provide input into national and emirate policies and plans linked to climate change, circular economy, and others
Advise and integrate best practice and best available science in ENWWF portfolio
- Keep abreast with international best practices and regional activities to ensure that the solutions that EN-WWF offers are always relevant with the global (including WWF relevant priority areas) and local context.
- Establish solid working relationships with WWF international when appropriate.
- Represent ENWWF in scientific community to share results & help maintain the credibility of the organization with external audiences
- Support on WWF reporting and annual reports
- Provide input and offer technical presentations to ENWWF staff, stakeholders and volunteers as needed
- Advise on communication campaigns related to climate and circular economy
Key Performance Indicators
- Identify pipeline projects/FR opportunities linked with Impact Thesis
- Concept notes and proposals (TBD)
- Meetings with stakeholders and technical workshops
- Partnership agreements
- Project plans, budgets and resource planning
- M&E plans and risk assessment inputs
- TORs for consultants and contract implementation
- Progress and technical reports
- Position papers and briefing documents
- Reviews on policy reports and government proposals
- Focal point with key WWF CC and E practice and participation in meetings
- Communications related content and briefings to senior management
- Input to national / emirate level policies and plans
- Input to campaign/annual reports
- 10+ years of experience in relevant field with a strong working background in climate change, energy, knowledge/ experience on circular economy projects/ initiatives is desirable
- Experience in all aspects of project design and management (e.g. planning, funding proposal development, monitoring and reporting)
- Proven track record in stakeholder engagement, partnership development and reporting
- Post-graduate/ Graduate degree in environmental science, climate change and energy or relevant field
- Good understanding in global climate commitments, public climate/circular economy policies and plans
- Fluency in English is essential. Knowledge of Arabic is highly desirable
EN-WWF Focus: Acts as a member of EN-WWF, placing higher priority on EN -WWF goals than own goals and anticipating the effects of own area’s actions on others to ensure holistic EWS-WWF outcomes.
External Orientation: Looks outwards ensuring WWF stays relevant, continues to anticipate and adapt to external environmental and global trends.
Delivering Quality Outcomes: Establishes stretch goals, plans, using best judgment and takes responsibility for planning to and delivering on outcomes.
Building Working Relationships: Builds collaborative relationships through the understanding and development of other’s and own ideas.
Communicating Effectively: Uses appropriate means of communication to convey messages, seeks input from others and ensures understanding.
Leading Change: Encourages and seeks out innovative solutions and brings people on a journey constructively and empathetically.
Managing Resources: Makes the right judgments based on financial and resource availability.
|Together We’re Stronger||
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, generating innovative ways to drive terrestrial conservation.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and ability to perform under pressure.
- Excellent proven stakeholder management and relationship-building skills.
- Excellent relationship-building skills and exceptional teamwork abilities.
- Demonstrable ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary and multicultural teams.
- Self-starter and able to prioritise activities accordingly.
- Set challenging but realistic goals and solve problems effectively.
- Produce high quality products/services with attention to detail.
- Supportive, constructive and open to influence in dealing with others.
- Friendly, open, and sensitive to the satisfaction of the work group.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Arabic (desirable).
Internal - Works closely with Development, Communications and Operations teams.
External - Works closely with Stakeholders, Consultants and Suppliers.
EN -WWF is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and offer a flexible and diverse place of employment.
EN-WWF staff participate wholeheartedly in general activities and events which promotes the overall mission of EN -WWF, whether or not the particular event or activity has any bearing on the job description and assigned project objectives and activities.