Sustainable Finance – Associate Advisor
Emirates Nature-WWF is a UAE environmental non-governmental organization, established under the patronage of HH Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Ruler’s representative in the Western Region and Chairman of Environmental Agency – Abu Dhabi (EAD).
Emirates Nature works in association with WWF, one of the world’s largest and most respected independent conservation organizations. EN-WWF has been active in the UAE since 2001 and has successfully initiated and implemented several conservation and education projects and initiatives in the region.
The main responsibility of the Sustainable Finance – Associate Advisor will be to support the expansion of the conservation portfolio of ENWWF by exploring opportunities to integrate ESG and Sustainable Finance with nature conservation and natural capital, regenerative agriculture, food security and climate change action. The role will help the Conservation and Climate Director to strengthen existing and develop new partnerships with the finance sector by creating new projects and initiatives in line with the long-term strategy of the organization and the UAE policy and strategic commitments.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct a brief analysis related to sustainable finance in the UAE and identify opportunities linked with current ENWWF projects
- Propose partnership roadmap with short-and long- term priorities for selected strategic partnerships with key finance institutions.
- Identify opportunities for long term conservation strategy and develop scope for projects linking nature conservation, climate change action and green economy.
- Conduct research and provide recommendations to ENWWF for new partnerships within the finance sector to support conservation impact portfolio on topics related to regenerative agriculture and food security, nature-based solutions for climate, climate change and innovation.
- Engage with WWF Finance Practice and relevant experts to identify relevant initiatives and integrate best practice / global lessons learnt into ENWWF strategic and project priorities
- Support the Conservation and Climate Change Director in external stakeholder engagement and partnership management
- Identify key stakeholders and proposed scope of work for Islamic financing, ESG and ENWWF conservation portfolio.
- Identify key factors of success for current projects aiming to integrate sustainable finance and nature-based bankable projects
- Help build internal technical capacity with continuous internal engagement
Key Performance Indicators
- Landscape analysis, potential partners and scope of partnerships identified, action plan developed
- Roadmap on strategic partnerships: priority areas, activities and collaborative initiatives, scope and estimated resources required
- Priority ESG / sustainable finance initiatives and scope linked to ENWWF and WWF strategies and practices
- Fundraising approach determined and potential partners and donors identified Meetings minutes and notes to ENWWF
- Background research and contribution to ENWWF meetings and discussions
- Draft external consultancy Scope of Work for key project activities related to natural capital, bankable projects and sustainable finance
- Effective liaison with project teams to ensure integration of sustainable finance needs Share publications and papers, discuss key topics with the conservation team
- 10+ years of experience in relevant field within sustainable finance, banking or green economy
- Proven track record working in areas of sustainability and environmental stewardship.
Relevant educational qualifications, Master’s Degree desirable.
EN-WWF Focus: Acts as a member of EN-WWF, placing higher priority on EN -WWF goals than own goals and anticipating the effects of own area’s actions on others to ensure holistic EWS-WWF outcomes.
External Orientation: Looks outwards ensuring WWF stays relevant, continues to anticipate and adapt to external environmental and global trends.
Delivering Quality Outcomes: Establishes stretch goals, plans, using best judgment and takes responsibility for planning to and delivering on outcomes.
Building Working Relationships: Builds collaborative relationships through the understanding and development of other’s and own ideas.
Communicating Effectively: Uses appropriate means of communication to convey messages, seeks input from others and ensures understanding.
Leading Change: Encourages and seeks out innovative solutions and brings people on a journey constructively and empathetically.
Managing Resources: Makes the right judgments based on financial and resource availability.
Value and Behaviors
- Results oriented and focused
- We passionately seek impactful solutions to overcome the planets greatest challenges
- Uses a science-based approach and applies facts, logic and professional knowledge to create impact, displaying a strong understanding of the issues
- Demonstrates focus, determination, efficiency and accountability
- Consistently delivers high-quality work
- Acts and communicates openly, constructively and ethically, and is sensitive to other people and cultures
- Treats others fairly and respects others points of view, creating an environment of trust
- Is consistent, honest and transparent in what one does and says
- Demonstrates self-awareness, manages own emotional response, and is aware of the impact of own behavior on others
- Demonstrates professionalism and upholds a high regard for the reputation of the organization
- We live the principles and standards we call on others to meet, and hold each other accountable
Together We’re Stronger
- Shows empathy, listens, asks questions and shows consideration and understanding for others
- Is approachable, empowers others, provides trust and mutual respect
- We remain optimistic, light-hearted and participates in celebrating success together
- Recognizes the value that each individual brings to the collective impact of the organization
- Embraces diversity and inclusion
- Speaking with one voice, unified by one mission, shared values and common priorities
- Seeks to build powerful and aligned networks with government, organizations and communities
- Demonstrates perseverance and commitment to the Mission and Vision of the organization
- Acts with confidence and from a position of strength
- Takes measured risks and encourages action
- Inspires hope and optimism
- Stays informed of external developments and trends and adapts accordingly
- Pursues avenues for continuous learning and development
- Stays open-minded, seeks innovative and creative solutions
- Flexible and open to change and others view-points, remains calm and confident during change
- Embraces feedback
- A demonstrated interest in how nature and climate change relate to business/finance operations.
- General knowledge of the finance sector levers for change as they relate to sustainability.
- Ability to analyze ESG issues and to effectively communicate these to various stakeholders.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, generating innovative ways to drive terrestrial conservation.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and ability to perform under pressure.
- Excellent relationship-building skills and exceptional teamwork abilities.
- Demonstrable ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary and multicultural teams.
- Self-starter and able to prioritise activities accordingly.
- Produce high quality products/services with attention to detail.
- Supportive, constructive and open to influence in dealing with others.
- Friendly, open, and sensitive to the satisfaction of the work group.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Arabic (desirable).
Internal - Works closely with Conservation and Climate Director and selected conservation project teams.
External - In liaison with the line manager engage with Stakeholders and WWF experts.
EN -WWF is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and offer a flexible and diverse place of employment.
EN-WWF staff participate wholeheartedly in general activities and events which promotes the overall mission of EN -WWF, whether or not the particular event or activity has any bearing on the job description and assigned project objectives and activities.
How to apply
Please send your application to Human Resource Department with the subject ‘Sustainable Finance – Associate Advisor’ to [email protected]. The application deadline is May 31, 2021. We reserve the right to appoint a candidate prior to this date.