Project Manager - Terrestrial & Freshwater Ecosystem Expert
Emirates Nature (formerly Emirates Wildlife Society) is a UAE environmental non-governmental organization, established under the patronage of HH Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Ruler’s representative in the Western Region and Chairman of Environmental Agency – Abu Dhabi (EAD).
Emirates Nature works in association with WWF, one of the world’s largest and most respected independent conservation Organizations. Emirates Nature-WWF has been active in the UAE since 2001 and has successfully initiated and implemented several conservation and education projects and initiatives in the region. Emirates Nature-WWF works federally and in the region with offices in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Fujairah and is governed by a local board of directors.
EN-WWF works to conserve nature and reduce the most pressing threats to the environment for the benefit of society, partners with individuals and institutions in the UAE and region to achieve sciencebased solutions to combat climate change and safeguard the seas, the land and their associated biodiversity.
EN-WWF has initiated in partnership with Etihad Rail a 3 years-project (2021-2023) in Al Bithnah, Fujairah Emirate. The objectives of this project are to:
- engage with the local communities and inviting the larger civil society to be part of the changes towards a greener economy.
- renovate an abandoned ancestral falaj, manage and rehabilitate the natural habitats.
- propose strategic solutions to the local communities for market transformation.
In this framework, EN-WWF will be conducting biodiversity and socio-economic surveys, implement a Nature and Heritage Trail and study the opportunities for ecotourism development
This position will be responsible for successfully implementing the environmental conservation project in Al Bithnah and for leading on developing other Terrestrial conservation projects in coordination with the Conservation Director and Business Development team. This role will oversee delivery and financial management of the Al Bithnah project, working in close partnership with the Terrestrial team, EN-WWF membership Programme, governmental institutions of the UAE, the Government of Fujairah and project partners. The role will also require supporting the Conservation Unit in expanding its conservation impact portfolio by identifying new opportunities related to terrestrial and freshwater ecosystems and exploring synergies with food security and sustainable food production.
Major duties and responsibilities
- Manage all aspects of the environmental conservation project in Al Bithnah including budget, staff, finance, data collection and analysis, reporting; managing project risks and monitoring project KPIs.
- Manage relationships with key partner organizations, specifically Etihad Rail, Fujairah Environmental Authority, Fujairah Adventures
- Hire and supervise consultants for falaj renovation, irrigation improvement, socio-economic studies; supervise biodiversity surveys.
- Prepare regular progress reports and technical reports as required by partners and stakeholders;
- Professionally represent EN-WWF for Al Bithnah project in all communications;
- Engage with communications team to ensure successful implementation of communications plan, developing project messaging and collateral.
- Liaise with membership teams and supporting the creation of volunteering offerings linked to the project activities.
- Effectively manage project team by creating a respected working environment where team members feel trusted and empowered to deliver assigned tasks.
- Support the implementation of the broader EN-WWF conservation strategy, by conceptualizing new project opportunities, developing project proposals, liaising with stakeholders and establishing new partnerships.
- Represent the organization as required in meetings with stakeholders, government led consultation meetings and workshops providing scientific and expert knowledge.
The role will also work closely with EN-WWF members of staff including Conservation Director, Head of Wadi Wurayah National Park (WWNP), WWNP Operation Manager, MMNP Research Manager and other members of staff on the ground including Rangers, as well as the EWS-WWF Education Programme
Required qualifications and experience
- Master or equivalent degree related to the fields of ecology, conservation, environmental management or environmental science
- 5+ years operations and project management experience in the Middle East, in the NGO and/or corporate sector (including timelines, budget management and reporting)
- Experience in relationship management with corporate, government and NGO partners • Strong knowledge on Arabian biodiversity, ecology in arid environment, freshwater ecosystems
- Knowledge in agro-ecology or agrobiodiversity
- Fluent in English,
- Fluent in Arabic appreciated
- Proven knowledge and or experience in the non-for-profit sector, preferably of environmental non-government organisations.
ENWWF Focus: Acts as a member of ENWWF, placing a higher priority on EN-WWF goals than own goals and anticipating the effects of own area’s actions on others to ensure holistic EN-WWF outcomes.
External Orientation: Looks outwards ensuring WWF stays relevant, continues to anticipate and adapt to external environmental and global trends.
Delivering Quality Outcomes: Establishes stretch goals, plans, using best judgment and takes responsibility for planning and delivering on outcomes.
Building Working Relationships: Builds collaborative relationships through the understanding and development of others and their own ideas.
Communicating Effectively: Uses appropriate means of communication to convey messages, seeks input from others and ensures understanding.
Leading Teams: Develops direction and shared purpose, builds a team through coaching to ensure the accomplishment of goals and high-level team performance.
Leading Change: Encourages and seeks out innovative solutions and brings people on a journey constructively and empathetically.
Managing Resources: Makes the right judgments based on financial and resource availability.
- Excellent analytical thinking
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Exceptional team working abilities.
- Ability to perform under pressure.
- Adaptable, flexible, able to take initiative and prioritize among competing demands.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to set challenging but realistic goals and solve problems effectively.
- Produce high quality products/services with attention to detail.
- Good knowledge of MS Office
- Knowledge and interest in UAE biodiversity and environmental challenges
- Knowledge in GIS
- High level of cultural sensitivity and awareness with ability to work in a multi-cultural setting.
- Understanding and experience of Middle East culture and working practices
Internal – - Works with the Conservation Director, the project team, the EN-WWF Business development, Membership programme and Communication teams
External – Works with governmental Institutions in the UAE, Fujairah Environmental Authority, consultants, sponsors and partners.
EN-WWF is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and offer a flexible and diverse place of employment.
EN-WWFstaff participate wholeheartedly in general activities and events that require the full support and participation of all staff members, whether or not the focus of any particular event or activity has any bearing on the job description and assigned project objectives and activities.