Project Manager – Marine Restoration Project
Emirates Nature (formerly Emirates Wildlife Society) is a UAE environmental non-profit organization, established under the patronage of HH Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Ruler’s representative in the Western Region and Chairman of Environmental Agency – Abu Dhabi (EAD).
Emirates Nature works in association with WWF, one of the world’s largest and most respected independent conservation Organizations. Emirates Nature-WWF has been active in the UAE since 2001 and has successfully initiated and implemented several conservation and education projects and initiatives in the region. Emirates Nature-WWF works federally and in the region with offices in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Fujairah and is governed by a local board of directors.
The role holder will lead and ensure the successful implementation of a critical project for Emirates Nature-WWF’s, with the ultimate goal of helping catalyse greater action towards the conservation and restoration of coastal ecosystems in the UAE. The role will require a sound technical understanding and work experience in these topics as well as project management.
- Manage effectively the assigned project, monitor and report on progress and achievements on a regular basis; engage with project team members
- Develop and manage project action and operational plans (including work plans, budgets and monitoring and evaluation plans)
- Identify resource needs, develop and administer external consultant Terms of Reference and Contracts, as well as ensure timely and high-quality submission of agreed deliverables and outputs.
- Undertake research and develop project related reports, policy briefings, and discussion papers to enable stakeholder engagement as part of the project and relevant fundraising efforts.
- Develop and manage stakeholder engagement plans and liaise with partners, communities and stakeholders to enable the implementation of the specific project objectives.
- Work closely with the communications and citizen science teams to develop and implement a sound communication and citizen science plan for the project within agreed timelines and budget
- In liaison with the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) expert, manage the M&E project plan and ensure effective reporting to donor and partners and risk management
- In liaison with Partnerships team, support on relationships with partners related to public fundraising for the project
- Keep abreast with international best practices and regional activities to ensure that the solutions that Emirates Nature-WWF offers are always relevant with the global (including WWF relevant priority areas) and local context.
- Represent the organization in external meetings and workshops
- Effectively manage project team and consultants by setting clear targets and objectives, coaching and task delegation depending on the position needs and effective communication
- Work closely with other members of the marine team and support delivery of other key marine projects/initiatives as required; support on ENWWF overall communications and reporting.
Key Performance Areas
- Successful and timely delivery of the project within agreed time and budget
- Project reports and deliverables, project coordination meetings
- Project team JDs, consultancy Terms of References
- Project Impact KPIs monitored and achieved
- Partnerships development & consultancy agreements
- Up to date workplans and budgets
- Project progress updates, technical and non-technical reports, scientific papers
- Risk management log (with impact manager)
- Coaching sessions and one/one meetings with team members
- M&E contributions & impact stories
- Logistics and surveys conducted effectively
- Advice on logistics, science-based links of the citizen science & volunteer products
Education and Experience:
- Post-graduate/ Graduate degree in environmental science, marine biology, or relevant field
- 7+ years of experience in relevant field with a strong working background in marine conservation and research
- Sound experience in all aspects of project management (e.g., planning, funding proposal development, monitoring and reporting)
- Good technical understanding on marine and coastal ecosystems and their protection and restoration
- Experience in managing teams towards a common vision and project objective
Delivering Quality Outcomes: People demonstrating this competency focus on improvement of organization results.
WWF Focus: People demonstrating this competency is concerned about serving and building value added relationships with stakeholders and can be internal or external
External Orientation: People demonstrating this competency have a strong, detailed understanding of the market in which the organization operates and how changes affect the organization. They know the customers they serve, the competitors, suppliers and the regulatory environment and how to address them
Communicating Effectively: People demonstrating this competency use appropriate means of communication to convey message, seek input from others and ensures understanding
Flexible & Adaptive Orientation: People demonstrating this competency are not rigid - intellectually, emotionally, or interpersonally. Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and copes with complexity.
Building Working Relations: People demonstrating this competency are effective in working with peers, partners and others who are not in the line of command, to positively impact organization performance.
Managing Resources: Makes the right judgments based on financial and resource availability.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, generating innovative ways to drive marine conservation.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and ability to perform under pressure.
- Excellent proven stakeholder management and relationship-building skills.
- Excellent relationship-building skills and exceptional teamwork abilities.
- Ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary and multicultural teams.
- Self-starter and able to prioritise activities accordingly.
- Ability to set challenging but realistic goals and solve problems effectively.
- Produce high quality products/services with attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Arabic (desirable).
- Competent user of GIS is desirable.
Emirates Nature-WWF is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and offer a flexible and diverse place of employment.
Emirates Nature-WWF staff participate wholeheartedly in general activities and events that require the full support and participation of all staff members, whether or not the focus of any particular event or activity has any bearing on the job description and assigned project objectives and activities.